George VI silver freemasons hospital medal. Given to donors of the Royal Masonic Hospital. Once sufficient funds were secured a site was purchased at Ravenscourt Park, West London and in 1933, King George V and Queen Mary opened the hospital and the King granted permission for it to be known as the Royal Masonic Hospital. Money for the hospital was raised through donations, with donors being awarded a special jewel, known as the Permanent
Steward’s Jewel, which is what this medal is. The medal is solid silver and hallmarked London 1937.
Permanent Steward’s Jewel – It was designed by C.L.J. Doman (who also produced the Armistice
Anniversary medal in 1928). Its ribbon is in the dark and light blue of Craft masonry and the design
shows humanity succouring the sick. The motto, ‘Aegros Sanat Humanitas” means ‘Kindness Heals the
Sick’. The five pointed Masonic star and the interlaced letters ‘FH’ (Freemasons Hospital) complete the
design. First issued in silver, engraved on the reverse with the donor’s name and lodge
number, but later was plain and in base metal. Depending on the donation the jewel sometimes had a
bar marked ‘VICE-PATRON’, ‘PATRON’, ‘GRAND VICE-PATRON’ and ‘GRAND PATRON’.